Or Watch The Video Introduction Below:
I’m a Baby Boomer and I’m irrelevant when it comes to shopping for home furnishings. Sure, I may buy a mattress and maybe even a power recliner, but that’s about it. My Home is fully furnished!I’m NOT your customer, Generation “X” & “Y” are your customer- all 126,000,000 million of them. They are all “wired” for the internet and they love being social on-line. They consume information when they want to and they do it in a variety of ways. Today’s consumer not only connects with your brand, “They Use It”.The internet changed everything for retail and social media is changing the internet. Again, it’s about “relevant content” being found by the consumer where and when they want to find it and consume it. You may think that your marketing to these generations, but I can comfortably say that you are not!
You have an average or mediocre website at best that probably isn’t even found in the 3 categories of search.
Your content is lacking, outdated or irrelevant and you can’t, won’t or don’t keep up with it.
Today you MUST Embrace and Enact a social platform to connect with your audience, everywhere they are…and they are on the internet all the timeThere are the 10 platforms you must consider to be connected and integrate into your message. Failure to do this is no different than placing all your marketing dollars in print or TV…you’ll miss your audience that is not tuned into those platforms. I can’t outline everything in this article, so we’ve focused on a few that would immediately impact your local business. You can research all 10 that we’ve outlined @ www.social4retail.com
- 1,000,000,000 active members, 152,000,00 active users – 55% women
- 10,000,000+ active users and its estimated 97% are women. This is the hottest new social platform out there. You must have a strategy for this and HOME is the #1 Pinned element!
- It’s Google and you need to embrace it because 78% of search is done on Google. Be there and be relevant to Google everywhere.
- Google+ 90,000,000 users
- 250,000,000 tweets per day – 55% women sharing what their thoughts, likes and experiences are with their followers
- Over 15,000,000 users and growing rapidly. 40% women. This is an easy to use platform and it’s an awesome platform driving traffic/in-store promotions and rewarding customers when they come to your store and “check in”.
- 18,000,000+ members
Yelp is an online city guide that helps people find cool places based on the informed opinions of a vibrant and active community of locals in the know. As of June 2011, more than 53 million people visited Yelp in the past 30 days…that’s potentially 636,000,000/year. Yelpers have written over 20 million local reviews, 83% of them rating a business 3 stars or higher.
Tumblr & Blogs
- Tumblr has 9,000,000+ members
- Over 500,000,000 people worldwide read/subscribe to blogs
- Blogging is the new “news you can use” platform. People subscribe to them because they want to aggregate information “they want, when they want it”.·
- Statistics state that 57% of retail business has acquired a customer through blogs. (Hubspot)· Companies that embrace blogs get 88% more leads than those that don’t. (Hubspot)·
- Blogging improves your rank on Google and other search engines.·
- Blogging helps establish your authority and reputation in your niche.·
- Blogging gets tons of new traffic which you can target for your products or divert to your website.·
- Blogging helps establish a targeted loyal customer-base which you can tap into in more than one way.·
- Blogging helps build your email list as readers often subscribe to your feed or newsletter.·
- Blogging helps spread the word about your business or its products.
- Groupon – 83,000,000 subscribers – 16,000,000 users
- Living Social – 26,000,000+ subscribers
- 1,800,000,000 (Trillion) video views/playbacks in 2011 – 158,000,000/month
"If a retailer does not recognize the changing dynamics of the consumer, how they shop and connect with brands, you will not just be punished; you will be punished with impunity".
No change equates to irrelevance.
My favorite quote helps define the situation with Social Media:
“You Cannot Think Yourself into Acting; You MUST Act Yourself into Thinking”
About Bill Napier: www.social4retail.com - About Bill Napier: Bill is a specialist in creating, guiding and deploying successful marketing B2B & B2C solutions integrating traditional marketing strategies with the web and social media. He has worked in the home furnishings industry for over 12 years, as the chief marketing officer for some of the industry's largest manufacturers and creating some of the largest promotions ever launched within the industry.